If you have an intractable case of hip or knee osteoarthritis, you’re likely searching for ways to completely address your problem. Consider talking to your orthopedic surgeon about whether arthroplasty is right for you.
Arthroplasty is a procedure that involves replacing a part of or the whole damaged joint with a prosthesis. The procedure is geared toward providing you with effective pain relief as well as restoring normal hip or knee function and mobility.
At Advanced Orthopedic Center, board-certified, fellowship-trained surgeon, Dr. Nicholas Connors, is an expert in joint replacement procedures, particularly using the latest minimally invasive approaches. Once Dr. Connors determines that you’re a good candidate for a knee or hip arthroplasty, he may recommend MAKOplasty— an innovative technique in which he utilizes a sophisticated computerized navigation system to carry out the procedure with optimal control, dexterity, and precision.
Read on to learn more about the MAKOplasty joint replacement procedure, particularly how it works and its benefits.
How MAKOplasty Joint Replacement Works
A MAKOplasty joint replacement procedure is powered by RIO® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System, which facilitates optimal implant size, position, alignment as well as proper ligament and muscle tension. This ultimately eliminates any guesswork out of the surgery, thereby helping ensure a highly successful outcome.
The concept of CT scan guided computer navigation and robotic joint replacements involves three steps.
- A CT scan is performed in order to develop a custom plan for implant placement and sizing based on the patient’s unique anatomy.
- In the operating room, CT scan based computer navigation is used to fine tune the plan for placement of the prosthesis to ensure that the muscles and ligaments are under the correct tension.
- After the plan is finalized, the information from the computer is transferred to the robotic arm. The surgeon controlled robotic arm then precisely prepares the bone for the implant.
By having a perfectly aligned joint replacement under the correct muscle and ligament tension, patient’s will have a better chance for a great result, quicker recovery and an implant that will last 20 years.
Given its minimally invasive nature and the sophisticated technology it is powered by, a MAKOplasty joint replacement offers the following benefits:
- Preservation of the surrounding healthy tissue and bone
- Optimal implant positioning, which allows for a more natural feel
- Less postoperative pain
- Lower risk of complications
- Faster recovery and quicker return to normal activities
MAKOplasty Expert in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, FL
Dr. Connors takes pride in his unparalleled surgical acumen and skills, and extensive training—which have equipped him to be the most experienced surgeon in all of southwest Florida to perform MAKOplasty robotic partial and total knee replacements and total hip replacements and ultimately help countless patients feel, move, and live better. Call one of our offices at (941) 629-6262 or (941) 639-6699 to make your appointment today and start feeling better fast!
To learn more about MAKOplasty joint replacement or to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic surgeons, give us a call at (941) 629-6262. You may also use this secure and convenient form to request an appointment.